of the Post am See
Located on a small, dreamy peninsula in the middle of the Traunsee, the Traunkirchen monastery has been an important spiritual, cultural and economic point in the Salzkammergut since it was 1000 years old. The Post am See, the "Hotel Post" at that time, was always closely connected to the monastery.
The foundation stones of today's hotel were laid in 1327 by the Benedictine nuns when the monastery was rebuilt after a fire. A guest house was built not far from the monastery to accommodate and feed the workers. The history of the "Hotel Post" as a hospitable house is almost 700 years old.
In 1773 the monastery was closed, but the hospitality in the later Hotel Post continued. Via new private owners, the house became an important post station on the way to the inner Salzkammergut. This gave its name to the later Hotel Post ****.
The hotel has been owned by the Gröller family since 1950. Tradition and hospitality were thus continued. Today Monika and Wolfgang Gröller are the third generation to host the Post am See.